This lovely early Amphora vessel measures 9" high by 4.25" in diameter at the base, and 2" at the rim. It has a very pleasing form with a broad base, which has recessed areas in the clay forming faux porticos, and a classic bulb rim. According to Richard Scott, author of 'The House of Amphora', this candlestem was produced c1899-1900, model number 3368. Scott shows a candlestem in this form in his book on page 190, same form, different glaze treatment and decoration. The model numbers are indentical. This candlestem is decorated in a wonderful Art Nouveau style depicting a meadow-like setting with orange-blushed yellow tulip blossoms in low relief, trailing all around, with green foliage. It is glazed in a rich majolica glaze, and finished in a mirror gloss. This vessel is well marked with an incised cipher, which are the initials of Stellmacher and his son and sons-in-law. It also bears the shape number 3368, aalong with 'Austria' incised. This candlestem is in original condition, no apologies. If you collect Amphora or Bohemian pottery, this vase would be a wonderful addition to your collection. Additional points about Stellmacher and Amphora are noted below.
Amphora refers to some delicate pottery produced between 1894 and 1904 in the Turn-Teplitz region of Bohemia during the Art Nouveau times. These ceramic wares were produced between the late nineteenth and the early twentieth centuries and are also referred to by dealers and collectors as “Teplitz”. There were many companies manufacturing ceramic wares in the Amphora movement, all in the Turn-Teplitz region. Riessner, Stellmacher & Kessel (RSt&K) and Wahliss were two of the main companies of this style.
In 1892, after 17 years as a leader in ceramics production, Alfred Stellmacher encouraged his son and sons-in-law to establish a porcelain manufactory. They were the first Amphora manufacturer. Named after its owners Riessner, Stellmacher and Kessel (RSt&K), and employing son-in-law Paul Dachsel, the firm consistently marked pieces with the word Amphora by the late 1890s and became subsequently known by that name.
Their work was introduced in the United States in 1893 at the Chicago World’s Fair where they were given the “best in show” award. Their display at the St. Louis World’s Fair in 1904 also earned high accolades bolstering their reputation as pottery masters. More than a century later, their products still have a following among pottery fans.