Actual shipping will be based upon your zip code because of its size. Please ask if questions. This very large and bulbous Monmouth Western Stoneware vessel stands a tall 14.5" high by 8.5" in diameter. It has a very handsome form with a cinched collar and a very nice Arts & Crafts garland carving just below the collar. Best of all, this vase is glazed in an awesome spongeware glaze in blue and green mottling, a very nice glaze combination that lays on the vessel nicely. The glaze is even and consistent from tip to toe. This vase has a marking on the bottom, but we cannot make sense of it, perhaps just a potter's mark. It is guaranteed to be vintage 1930s Western Stoneware. This pot is in original condition, with a no harm factory indentation in the clay at the rim and a very small skip in the glaze at the base edge, shown in the photos. It is smooth to touch, not a glaze chip. This is a beautiful pot, it'll hug you coming out of box!
The Western Stoneware Company of Monmouth, Illinois
In 1906 the Western Stoneware Co. was formed by the merging of seven different stoneware and pottery companies, these companies were now known as Western Stoneware Co. Plants One Through Seven. This new company kept the same style of maple leaf logo that the Monmouth Pottery Company had used previously. It just seemed to fit as the city of Monmouth is known for it's maple trees and is often referred to as "Maple City". Many of the early Western Stoneware vessels such as crocks and jugs were marked with the maple leaf logo that now read: Western Stoneware Co. Plant 1, 2 or whatever number of the seven plants that had produced it.
The seven companies that merged together in 1906 are listed below.
- Monmouth Pottery Co. of Monmouth, Illinois This was known as Plant One and was the main office until the 1950's but no pottery was produced here after 1930.
- Weir Pottery Co. of Monmouth, Illinois This was known as Plant Two, the Weir Pottery Co. was started in 1899 and were well known for their stoneware fruit jars and advertising pieces for the Heinz Company. They were also the original makers of the Old Sleepy Eye pitchers and steins made for the Old Sleepy Eye Milling Co. of Minnesota. After the 1906 merger Western Stoneware continued to produce these "Indian Head" pieces
- Macomb Stoneware Co. of Macomb, Illinois The Macomb Stoneware Co. began in 1889 and became known as Plant Three. This plant was destroyed by fire in 1913 and never rebuilt.
- Macomb Pottery Company of Macomb, Illinois The Macomb Pottery Co. was incorporated in 1880 and was known as Plant Four. Stoneware and pottery were produced here until 1956 when the plant was sold. This is also where the Cardinal Brand of redware was produced.
- D. Culbertson Stoneware Co. of White Hall, Illinois The D. Culbertson Stoneware Company became Plant Five in the merger and was in production until 1916.
- Clinton Stoneware Co. of Clinton, Missouri The Clinton Stoneware Company was formed in 1898 and was known as Plant Six, production ended here in 1910.
- Fort Dodge Stoneware of Fort Dodge, Iowa Was formed in 1892, became Plant Seven and was destroyed by fire in 1906, less than a year after the merger and was not rebuilt.
Through the years the maple leaf logo as seen a few variations and there were also several different bottom markings and various stamps that were used to mark their wares, but many pieces were unmarked. They produced many lines of stoneware and pottery, from the basic utilitarian wares as crocks, butter churns, jugs and water coolers to decorative pieces of art pottery, even pottery lamps and various flower pots and planters, basically almost anything that could be produced from clay was made by Western Stoneware.
A few of their more popular lines were the Marcrest dinnerware line, the Colonial line of stoneware and the Monmouth Pottery artware / gardenware. Western Stoneware also produced many pieces of blue & white stoneware and spongeware decorated pieces that are also highly collectible. Some of the most sought after pieces are wares with advertising on them, merchants would special order wares with their business name printed on them to give away as premiums or to put their products in. Western Stoneware would put advertising on about anything the customer wanted although bowls, jugs, beater jars and pitchers seem to be the most common. This was a very popular way of advertising and several potteries produced advertising pieces such as the Watt Pottery Co. and the Red Wing Stoneware Co.. Many of these wares were unsigned by the manufacturer and can be a little difficult to identify if you are not an avid collector.
Over the years the Western Stoneware Company has seen several changes in ownership, the most recent in 2006 after their 100 year anniversary. They continue to produce stoneware at Plant Two, the only remaining Western Stoneware factory.