This Charles Sucsan vessel stands 10" high by 5" in diameter. It has a full-bodied form and the artwork is exceptional. This vase is decorated in Sucsan's bold and colorful palette of the 1960s era. The glaze is thick, giving this vessel a wonderful body in hand. It is well marked on the base for Sucsan, along with his mark for Montreal. This vessel is in original studio condition with a srface grinding chip at the base edge for thick glaze drips. This exceptional vase is handsomely decorated by a well accomplished potter, a true Canadian treasure, Sucsan's work is fabulous! More about Sucsan:
Charles Sucsan was born in Paris in 1932 to Hungarian parents. The artist studied ceramics and sculpture in Paris, apprenticing at the studio of Florencio Fernandez, a master ceramist and close friend to Pablo Picasso. Sucsan studied drawing and painting at Lâ€™Ecole Municipal de Paris from 1951-1952. In 1958 the artist opened his own studio and produced several award-winning decorative objects. Charles Sucsan is a multi-disciplinary artist, working across mediums; producing paintings, ceramics, murals and sculpture. He immigrated to Canada in 1960. From 1960 to 1975 Sucsan received a number of commissions to create several large public and private murals in Montreal and Quebec. Charles Sucsan translates his unique vision of the world on to the canvas using a hybrid of graffiti-style painting where figures dance along the surface with exuberance, expressions ripe with colour, a world created by the artist that is both poetic and beautiful.
Solo and Group Exhibitions:
- 1961: Ecole St. Maurice de Duvernay, Laval, QC, Group exhibition: Alleyn, Cosgrove, Fortin, Gagnon, Huot, Gerome, Leduc, Masson, Pellan, Richard, Roberts, Rousseau, Attie and Sucsan.
- 1974: Artistâ€™s studio in Morin Heights, Quebec.
- 1977: Galerie George Dâ€™Or, Longueuil, QC.
- 1981: Musee des Beaux- Arts in Budapest, Hungary.
- 1993: Centre Culturelle, Val Dâ€™Or, QC.
- 1994: Festival Art Fiesta, Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, U.S.
- 1995: Galerie Koncz, Hungary.
- 1998: Galerie Mage, Longueuil, QC.
- 1998: Salon des Metiers dâ€™Art, Montreal
- 2002: Chicago exhibiton, U.S.
- 2005: Charles Sucsan Paintings, Longueuil, Quebec.
- 2010: Gallery of the Cathedral, Quebec.
- 2011: Toronto Art Expo, participated in two shows at Toronto Convention Center.
- 2015: Received the medal de Lâ€™Assemblee Nationale du Quebec.
- 2017: Vercheres studio, Quebec
- 2018: Red Dot Art Fair, Miami, Art Expo, New York.