This lovely early Amphora vessel measures 8" high by 6" in diameter at the base, and 3" at the rim. It has a very pleasing form with folds or creases in the clay, capped off with a loosely ruffled rim. According to Richard Scott, author of 'The House of Amphora', this vase was produced c1899-1900, model number 3367, and was based upon a vase design by Christopher Dresser. Scott shows a blue and gold glazed vase in this form in his book on page 158, same form, different presentation, shown in our photos for reference only. The model numbers are indentical. This vase is decorated in a wonderful Art Nouveau style depicting a series of poppy seedheads trailing all around, with a large cluster on the front and a smaller cluster on the backside. It is glazed in a rich green ground with lighter, brighter green seedheads and the start of red poppy blossoms ready to emerge. This vessel is well marked with an incised cipher, which are the initials of Stellmacher and his son and sons-in-law. It also bears the shape number 3367. There are pencil notations in the center of the base, which appears to be digits and lettering, but we cannot decipher them clearly. This vase is in excellent condition with a very good restoration to three small glaze nicks on the ruffled rim. There are factory glazed areas around the base, which are factory in origin, and one oval area appears to have initials, perhaps crediting Christopher Dresser's design, we're not sure. This 120 year-old Bohemian vessel is magnificently modeled and decorated, and is one of the nicest Amphora vessels we've acquired. If you collect Amphora or Bohemian pottery, this vase would be a wonderful addition to your collection. Additional points about Stellmacher and Amphora are noted below.
Amphora refers to some delicate pottery produced between 1894 and 1904 in the Turn-Teplitz region of Bohemia during the Art Nouveau times. These ceramic wares were produced between the late nineteenth and the early twentieth centuries and are also referred to by dealers and collectors as “Teplitz”. There were many companies manufacturing ceramic wares in the Amphora movement, all in the Turn-Teplitz region. Riessner, Stellmacher & Kessel (RSt&K) and Wahliss were two of the main companies of this style.
In 1892, after 17 years as a leader in ceramics production, Alfred Stellmacher encouraged his son and sons-in-law to establish a porcelain manufactory. They were the first Amphora manufacturer. Named after its owners Riessner, Stellmacher and Kessel (RSt&K), and employing son-in-law Paul Dachsel, the firm consistently marked pieces with the word Amphora by the late 1890s and became subsequently known by that name.
Their work was introduced in the United States in 1893 at the Chicago World’s Fair where they were given the “best in show” award. Their display at the St. Louis World’s Fair in 1904 also earned high accolades bolstering their reputation as pottery masters. More than a century later, their products still have a following among pottery fans.